HELPFUL HINTS FOR Storage
1. Plan your storage space. Place those items that you may need to get to often in the front. Allow for walkways.
2. Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box.
3. Place your storage items on 2”x 4” boards or on bricks to guard against dampness. Any concrete floor may become cold and damp.
4. Caution: Do not store anything combustible such as gasoline, solvents, paint, etc. Drain out all remaining gasoline from lawn mowers, power tools, boats, snowmobiles, etc.
5. Use uniform size boxes for easy stacking. Also, most moving companies sell packing boxes. You can pick up boxes free at most grocery stores or liquor stores. BE SURE they’re strong enough to hold 25 lbs. to 30 lbs. (It is best not to put too much in each box.)
6. List contents of boxes on all four sides; number the boxes; seal them with masking tape or glued paper tape.
7. Stack lighter boxes on top of heavier boxes.
8. Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in newspaper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
9. Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “Fragile” and stacked on end.
10. Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for knickknacks, china silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
11. Large appliances make excellent “packing cases” for blankets, towels, tablecloths and clothes.
12. Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trashcans. Stack extra cans inside one another.
13. Tables having removable legs should be “broken down” to save space.
14. Sofas and love seats can be stored on end to save floor space. Always place a protective cover under the end on the floor. Cushions should be wrapped in plastic and placed on top.
15. Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or old bedding (not plastic) to protect against dust.
16. If you stand mattresses on their side, “prop” them up so they stand straight, otherwise they may bend out of shape and become lumpy